
So...I am a member of the "chub club", looking to cancel that membership!
The picture that I have posted is what I would like to go back to. I used to drive a school bus and ended up with a bulging disc. I avoided a head on collision with my kindergartners, going off on the side of the road hitting a bunch of pot holes and hurting my back. That was in May of 02. Due to workman's comp, I was unable to move or do anything until after Labor Day when they FINALLY approved an MRI. In that process I went from being very active to not at all, gaining 40lbs...since then I have tried(obviously not very hard) to lose the weight, but have actually ended up gaining 20 more lbs...those darn cookies. I am wondering if I take the weight off, will my back quit hurting??? only time will tell.
My daughter will be 18 in February and my son will be 12 in August. I want to be healthy so I can be around for them. Like Eric, who I have known since 1st grade, I will be 40 this next year...but not until September....and want to be in the best shape that I have ever been in. I used to want to run a marathon, not sure about that now...I would be very happy to actually run the Race for the Cure with my son, instead of walking and slowing him down.
I have been married to my husband twice...married in 91 and then divorced in 95, had my son with someone else in 98 and married my hubby again in 2000. My son is more like my husband than either his biological or me (which is a very good thing ;o)). We are a baseball family with the goal of seeing a game in all of the ball parks...we have been to 9 fields so far. My son said we have to go back to NY since there are 2 new fields and we have to go to Atlanta again to see the Braves win in Atlanta (his favorite team).
I think that my biggest struggle will be the eating part. I am hoping that this time will be different since I am learning to cook healthier options for my son who was diagnosed with epilepsy in August. He has seizures when his blood sugar gets low, so I have to be very diligent about what and how much he eats. The whole family seems to be adjusting...I used to panic everytime I cooked, but now its only about half the time. I love to bake, and can bake anything...not sure why I am not a good cook and don't really like it.
I am looking forward to doing this with all of you. My view on this is that if my brother can make it thru 2 tours in Iraq, then this is nothing compared to that. This is a luxury that has to be taken advantage of.
You know what might be fun...we should see if there is a "race" or something like Race for the Cure...sometime early next year that everyone here in Portland can get together at and be a part of. That might be fun!
ReplyDeletewould love that Eric...motivate me to keep my running up...and better! How did you two know each other for so long? Jenny went to Lieser with me! :) Since what Jen..3rd? or 2nd? So, you two must have known each other from k-1st?
ReplyDeleteJen...I hear you on the nutrition part. It is such a struggle for me. When I took my own advice about nutrition, I learned a few things about me: a)I eat out of boredom (even thought I have PLENTY to do, it's more 'bored of my routine') b)I eat when I am stressed, c) I eat when I am happy, d)I eat in social environments, and last, e) I eat because I am not a wasteful person. (I hated seeing my kids throw out food I just bought like at a restaurant..or even at home if they only ate half of something, but nothing worth saving for leftovers.) And, mostly, eating at buffets, because I couldn't handle eating "salad" for $9.
ReplyDeleteSo, I am working on each and everyone of those issues. Some are harder than others. Eating because I am stressed AND happy are the two hardest for me. But, the rest are much easier. Example..I don't go to buffets hardly ever, and when I do go, I accept the fact I am going to pay a large amount of money to eat very little. Also, I accepted the idea that I am going to throw perfectly good food away. (as I see it, it's either in the trash, or in my body as form of fat, and I don't like the latter of the two.) Boredom: well, I have made myself a list of things to do when I feel the urge to eat. First thing I do ask myself.."am I truly hungry? or is this a bored thing again?" If I answer I am really just bored, then I think of my list and choose something, it works very well for me because next thing I know, time has passed, I am not thinking of food.
I hope some of this may be good tips for you, but also to let you know you are not alone. :) xo
Thanks Steph, those tips will help. I went to Truman in K thru half of 2nd grade. I moved to Lieser after spring vacation. I think that Eric was in my 1st grade class with Miss Nelson. I remember walking home with him too...
ReplyDeleteJen, we also have a son with epilepsy. Nice to meet you.
ReplyDeleteI do too...wow, three of us with boys with epilepsy, that's crazy! Glad to meet all of you on these different roads together!
ReplyDelete