Saturday, October 31, 2009

Plan for the unexpected!

A once wise man (Dave Ramsey) gave some great advice about finances---plan for life's unexpected issues because they WILL happen! (hence, budget for emergencies)...

I say the same thing about nutrition AND workouts for that matter. If we plan what we'll do first, we won't be caught off guard and give in to our old habits.

My planned unexpected tendancies (not sure if an English teacher would agree with what I just wrote...but oh well, "do not judge me Paul Blart." ) ok all I can say, I must be overly tired. :) ANYways,...I make the mistake all the time of going out "on a quick errand" only to find that 3hrs later, I have surpassed ravenous when it comes to my appetite---temptations get strong at this point---every quick fast food you can think of I pass by on the way home, no matter which route I take, typically I am already at grocery stores making the deli very appealing, along with another shot of latte to keep my energy level up since it is quickly depleting due to no proper nourishment.

My resolvement----a small cooler in the back of my car w/cut up veggies, perhaps even a sandwich, yogurt, and some fruit. I can always use the sandwich for a lunch the next day if I didn't need to eat it, and yogurt can go back in my fridge at home...fruits and veggies are eaten all day long in my house anyway, so no waste there. But, it's so nice to say no to the costco discount lunchline (sigh on the $1.50 hot dogs and soda combo huh? I admit, they have darn good hot dogs!)...but to say no knowing I have a healthy alternative (and a money saving one) sitting in my car!

Another option: what to do during events like tonight!? My kids are going to go to town on my fav's of snickers/reese's peanut butter cup...and even when those are gone...I'll take ANYTHING chocolate! So, gum/mint/gum/mint....eat a good meal loaded w/vegetables BEFORE going out, making my tummy full---but full of the good stuff, and therefore more able to say no to the bad.

Anyone else have alternatives to share?

How do those of you who are die-hard disciplined in your diet--how do you do it?? Moreso, the ones who act like it's a piece of cake to eliminate certain foods from your diet? (lol...pun INTENDED!)

1 comment:

  1. P.S. Forgot on the workout options: what about those who travel? Well, unless you HAVE to travel in a business suit...plan to wear comfortable attire, and squeeze in a quickie! 15minutes of wall sits, lunges, push-ups and tell yourself, "I don't care if people look at me wierd in the airport! If this is where I squeeze my time in then so be it!" Maybe you'll feel better squeezing in a quickie while watching someone else sitting their butt down at the cafe eating a burger and fries!

    Perhaps us mommies had an all-nighter with a sick one....making our bodies VERY tired the next day....so, turn on that p90x, do the routine but break it up into 1/3rds...(most likely though, you will get 1/3 into it and say, "ok, I can do 5more minutes...ok, maybe another 5.." and then next thing you know..the hour is up altogether!

    Maybe it's Thanksgiving? Guess what all, for the last 8yrs in a row, I got up at an early hour (not nearly like my daily routine of 4am) but still early on a holiday, and I squeeze one in...30min maybe, to a couple hours one year...(my family wasn't going anywhere...and they were still sleeping in by the time I got home!) And speaking of T-giving----pile up what you want...enjoy the meal for crying out loud...just do it 1x--and use a salad plate rather than the dinner plate. :) And have pie...but do you really enjoy the crust? or just the filling, because if you eliminate the crust, you've eliminated most of the fat!

    ReplyDelete