
Here's me in Boston back in April of 2008, although I don't look much different today, but now hair is shoulder-length.
My lifestyle of fitness history: Back in my early 20's, I had never made a connection that what I was putting into my body had anything to do with my health or appearance. I was never considered "overweight", but definitely was not a petite size either. I had already given birth to my 1st child when I was 20, so the only reason I had to "watch what I ate" was to keep from overgaining in pregnancy weight. Ha! 60lbs later, I knew I was not going to let that extra "baby" weight stay with me. 4mts after my daughter was born, I hit the gym. One major mistake I made though was still not making the connection that food portions, and exercise had to be a part of my life, and not just a temporary fix to get to where I wanted to be. So, although I lost the weight, the connection wasn't there. I stopped working out, went back to eating what I wanted. Now, back in my 20's, I was getting away with that behavior as it didn't affect my appearance on the outside, I was back to where I started with even having lost more weight then in high school. Pretty satisfied. However, time played devil's advocate.
Over the course of the next 7yrs, I gave birth 3 more times, therefore having to do the game again, workout until I got down where I wanted, being mindful more of what I ate. However, I wasn't getting down to exactly pre-baby weight anymore. Struggling with 10stubborn lbs., I questiond the doctor about it, he introduced me to a term called metabolism. What in the world is that? and what does THAT have to do with 10lbs!? I still wasn't totally understanding the "fit-for-life" term, but I was on a mission to learn to work with my slowing metabolism. I was nearly 30 by this time.
God blessed me with another child however, and 2yrs later, I was back in the struggle of getting to my goal. It was after giving birth in April of 200o, age 29, that I started connecting nutrition, exercise, and how to stay healthy--or perhaps a better term, "healthi-ER" because we can't always avoid circumstances beyond our control like cancer. But, we certainly can play a part in reducing our risks of getting them.
In the last nine years, I gave birth 2 more times (if you've been following by now, yes, a total of 7) and the difference was, I exercised from beginning to end. I made the connection that exercise is something that needed to be as much a part of my life as brushing my teeth and showering.
Although time and pregnancies have changed my body in ways that would not be my first choice, I know that I am more healthy inside then I was back in my teen age years. And, for the record, if God gave me the choice of my ideal of a perfect body and no children, and the body I have now and 7 blessings, I take the blessings, anyday! I am learning not to compare myself with the extreme exceptions of the celebrities, the models, or anyone else for that matter. My body is mine and mine alone, and as long as I am taking care of it as best I can, that's all that matters. My new personal saying (which also helps me make nutritious choices)is I eat to live, NOT live to eat.
So, I am joining the Horton's heroes group to keep challenging myself, stay motivated, work on improving goals I have set for myself. Would love to have the support, (who wouldn't love a cheering section?) and love the opportunity to be there for others too. I encourage anyone who hasn't made that connection yet, to make that mindset change today! How can you take care of others around you, if you aren't taking care of yourself 1st? Think of this: if you've ever flown on an airplane....the emergency instructions are to put on your own oxygen mask 1st...why? because you can't help those around you if you can't breathe yourself. Get it? Good! Make that change!!
God Bless!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Stephanie has done this program, so if you have any specific questions on what to expect, fire them up! Steph also had a lot of experience at cardio fitness, as she leads aerobic classes (or spin or something?) fairly regularly!
ReplyDeleteYes, I have done the program..my bad, I did not keep up with it, don't get me wrong, I kept up working out, just not this specific program. It is an awesome program!! Very intense, motivating--it challenges YOU, but any person, any size, shape, condition CAN do this! I am group certified, I teach 2 spin classes a week, but have also taught classes such as: powerflex (weightlifting to music), yoga (highly recommended for increasing your flexibility--which in turns, helps you in all realms of whatever fitness you choose), bootcamp (my favorite!). I will help as best I can, but in the event I don't have answers, I have reputable resources to go to.
ReplyDelete