Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Don't let your tank get too empty!!

So, in chatting with a few folks, I know there are a number of people with very different struggles right now. Jenny has been super sick the last few days, and won't be starting the workouts 'til next week (when she's back up to 100%!). Julee (and a few others) are having a TOUGH time figuring out how to get a 60-90 minute workout into their busy days of work, family, other obligations. Myself and a few others are EXTREMELY sore already!! And others are already feeling drained and low on energy!

I just wanted to take a second to encourage everyone to be sure they are putting 100% into...

1. Getting as much sleep as possible. 7-8 hours minimum!
2. Eating good, and getting enough food intake! If we're burning 500-1000 cals a night, we need to be EATING!! Good proteins, good carbs!!
3. Lots of liquids. Keep flushing those systems, especially with flu bugs and crap EVERYWHERE now-a-days!
4. Mental strength. Our minds tell our bodies what to do! When we are sore, it has to be a mental choice to keep fighting.
5. Priorities. We are all busy. Keep making P90X a priority!!

OK...love it! Keep it going everyone.
Eric

3 comments:

  1. And I will 2nd all that....remember guys, what is your goal? what are your desires for yourself? If you are not "happy" with where you are and what you are doing, you HAVE to make changes! And therefore, figure out a solution..not continue to make excuses for why you are "settling" with where you are.

    Time is hard for all---but guys...there is a reason I get my butt out of bed at 4am. This is the time frame that works for me. And learned the hard way that I needed to also get to bed sooner to get the required 7-8hrs of sleep. Now, personally, I get up at 4, because I wanted to get a good 2hr workout in at the club when it opened at 5, but on days I teach, that doesn't necessarily happen, my class starts at 5:45 a.m. So, why 4 if the club doesn't open until 5? One day, I was tossing and turning at about 3:30a.m., and finally I figured "if I go to sleep now, it will be that much more difficult to get up at 4:45." So, I just got up..moseyed around my house, drank some tea, checked my emails..and found that I really enjoyed this quiet time in my house, no mental distractions of kids, I am getting up early enough that I can take my time getting ready in case I forget anything (in terms of class), and get myself mentally ready for my day. I really appreciated this hour of peace and quiet. So, I continued that.

    So, some things to think about. First, maybe you're not a morning person...well, once upon a time, I wasn't either, but like I said, it was my only time I could fit it in, and I found that my workouts later in the day were more difficult because too many things got in the way, and made it hard for me to want to get it done. Not to mention, it's still WORK and I want to get my yucky stuff done and out of the way first. My body became so used to getting up at 4 & 5 that now, most of the time I don't need an alarm, my body is ready to go! Secondly, if time is a factor for you, remember you can always break up the routine into 1/2 or 1/3rds if you need to. It is better to do something, then not at all.

    One last point....especially those who are new to this lifestyle (and I am sure those who are old hats at this will vouch) your body WILL GO THROUGH soreness, tiredness, etc. It is natural, but you must grin and bear it...it will get better, but only if you keep going!

    Remember these are lifestyle changes you need to make if you want improvements in your life in reference to your health--and in some cases, physical appearance. (but remember your health itself is the most important..physical aspects are just a bonus.)

    I believe this is one reason Eric has been so kind in including all of us, and taking his time to set this site up....we are hear to listen to your concerns, your frustrations, your setbacks..AND YOUR successes! And, we are all here to help you through it! I do admire Matt for putting himself out there, that does take courage---after all, we are our own worst critics. But, for the record, he looks pretty darn good already! :)

    One more comment--yeah right. :) One thing I do to help me on my sluggish days...I call it zombie mode---my brain may not be functioning, and may wish it was back in bed...but if I just allow the rest of my body to go through the motions, then at least I did it. I really thought that old Nike quote was just a marketing tool, but I do believe strongly in those terms now...JUST DO IT!!

    NO excuses!! ONLY solutions!! Just DO it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soreness turns to fatigue after 2-3 weeks. Just gotta get through the grind part (Phase 1)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have a hard time finding time for this more than a lot of people, and the energy, but I KNOW that I need to make this a priority so I schedule it into my day whenever I have time....whether I 'feel' like it or not!! The results are SO worth it!!! And, once you get over the 2 week beginning stage, like the Averys said, you start feeling better, but if you don't push yourself thru the first 2 then you never get to the other side.....so push and be dedicated to it and the results will be SO worth it!!!! I know!! :)

    ReplyDelete