Has anyone tried the P90X protein bars or replenishment drink?
I already rely on protein bars in my diet (Pure Protein, 50g bars, 18-20g protein, about $1 ea.) and saw that the P90X ones are actually a tad bigger and a bit cheaper. But I wonder what they taste like???
The replenishment drink seems good in theory, especially with creatine and other supplements, but also a bit of a luxury. I suspect a bit of low-fat chocolate milk, post-workout, would accomplish the basics of beginning the carb/protein reload.
Thoughts?
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OK, strike the protein bars thing. I just Googled them again, and they are actually more like $2 ea. No thanks. I'll stick with my Pure Protein bars. :)
ReplyDeleteFound an interesting recipe for a home-made replenishment drink though. Feel free to give it a try.
1/2 C Danon Light Strawberry Yogurt
1 to 1.5 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
3/4 to 1 C frozen mixed berries or strawberries
1 cup of skim milk
Mix it all up in a magic bullet and drink away.
hmmm, good question, in fact, I think I will post this up on fb under my notes, and see what kind of feedback I get from all those who I know at least workout.
ReplyDeleteCool. Thanks, Steph!
ReplyDeleteI get creatine & L-glutamine from Walmart in tubs. (Body Fortress Brand) They are about $10 each and last a long time. You just throw a tsp. of each in your protein shake, or just stir it into some apple juice or something if you're not having a shake.
ReplyDeleteI also use the protein shake from Costco..EAS Brand. It costs around $30 and is a huge bag. (it is silver & purple) Lasts a long time as well..and you just mix it with water (or milk if you like) in your magic bullet. Doesn't taste that bad either! I prefer the chocolate when used by itself (w/only water).. the vanilla is good blended with frozen blueberries!
Jason or Amy, what does the L-glutamine do again? Is that fat burning? Or like a glucos restore thing? Thanks so much for the feedback. I definitely have a trip to Walmart ready now!! :)
ReplyDeleteThe L-glutamine helps to maximize your recovery...helps replenish muscle glycogen stores. ---here's part of what it says on the back..."Heavy training can take a toll on your muscles, and when you're training hard every day, your body may not be able to produce sufficient Glutamine for recovery." I started taking this when I was training for my competition last year and use it all the time now when I'm lifting.
ReplyDeleteI also have a fat-burner, thermogenic & energy pill that I really like and would recommend. It is a liquid capsule called "Jet Fuel" and the cheapest place I've found it is through www.allstarhealth.com -- http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/german_american_technologies-jetfuel.htm
The same size bottle sells for $50 at GNC.
Here's what my good friend and personal trainer, owner of his own private personal training says:
ReplyDelete"As long as you are on a functional diet and you do not have any metabolic concerns, there is no need for supplements. However, it's difficult to get all the branch chain aminos if your working out consistently. That's why I take Endurox and Amino Vital."
Hey Figs: Doesn't chocolate do the same thing?? I could swear I read that somewhere...
ReplyDeleteanother trainer friend of mine, and a Boston marathoner:
ReplyDelete"I'm with Mike's trainer: bars are too high in sugar. Shakes usually provide better protein with less sugar. Still, I agree that whole foods are best. For the sake of convenience, since I start my workouts so early, I drink 1/3 a serving of protein shake beforehand and 1/3 immediately afterward, then return home for breakfast. It's best to have protein and carbs immediately after working out, which is why the shake is so convenient. With real food, it's hard to get those nutrients in SO fast. :-)"