Monday, November 9, 2009

Need some motivation? Here goes!

Motivation 1)...think about someone in your life, or was once in your life that physically was unable to exercise for whatever reason...perhaps going through chemo? perhaps stuck in a wheelchair...I'll bet that person WISHES they had the energy or the capability to do what we're doing! Even at half effort! Do it for them!! Don't take your body for granted.

Currently, I have a neighbor who had shoulder surgery...she can't use her right arm (her stronger of the two) right now...she can't wash her own hair, she can't do day to day normal tasks....it's amazing how much we really use our bodies, until we no longer have that capability...

just think about your own thumb!

2nd motivation) Turn your WORKout to a FUNout...(now at this point, you may be thinking I am losing it here...but hear me out.) There is a reason they call it a WORK out...it is work. So, it's so easy to put it last on the list, if it's not mandatory to do...like our day to day jobs. But, if you turn your thinking around, and think, "it's FUN to do this.." Then, you are more apt to fit it into your schedule...you are more apt to get your family involved so the guilt of missing "family time" isn't there. After all ---if your son/daughter asked you to play a round of basketball---great cardio exercise!---would you say no? MAKE it fun...somehow someway...make it so you look FORWARD to doing it, rather than dreading it!

If those pull-ups are THAT hard that you are straining to pull your body up...then for crying out loud...give yourself a break...come on down...wait a few seconds...THEN squeeze one more out. Proper form FIRST AND FOREMOST! If your body is so fatigued that you can't do anymore without straining the wrong muscles, or you feel like something is going to snap...then heaven's sake..back off!

Yes, I know Tony would say--feel the burn, feel the shakes...etc. And I agree...you are going to feel that. There is a difference between pain and PAIN! And, it's difficult to type into words...but all I can say is...BURN pain is different than STRAIN pain.

Anyone else is welcome to chime in here if you have a better description.

My end point is, I don't want you to work out SO hard that you hurt yourself, or that the aches are so bad the next day (some of us are ok with feeling that) that you don't want to come back to it.

I can testify here...I'll use my running on the treadmill as an example. One week, I was just feeling so sluggish, for whatever reason. In my life, it's typically because of emotional drainage. But, I decided rather than "push" myself on the treadmill for a run, I was going to take it nice and easy, and go for as long as it felt good. I went for an hour...at a slower than my normal push pace. I endured a run that I really felt good about. I didn't consider it work..I considered it a "peaceful" moment of my time where I just enjoyed listening to my ipod. It took me a bit longer to work up a sweat, but in the end, I felt great, and not ready to have to take a nap! And, I realized that for me...some days that may be all I need. Maybe for some of you...that's all you want. And that is OK! I can't give numbers, but I read that just walking alone, you have already reduced health risks by a decent number.

Whatever you get out of my post...just don't give up!! Do SOMETHING!! and make it fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment